Citizens Advice Telford & the Wrekin

Money Advice

Citizens Advice Telford & the Wrekin are here to help and support our community with money advice.


We understand that not everyone is the same and financial situations vary from person to person. You may owe money to several different organisations. We refer to these organisations as ‘creditors'. Different types of creditors have different ways of getting their money back from you. At Citizens Advice Telford & the Wrekin our experienced and accredited Money Advisers will listen and offer confidential, free and impartial debt advice to all members of the public. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.  

How can we help?  

Your Money Adviser will initially assess your financial situation and immediately act on an emergency for example an Enforcement Agent's (Bailiffs) visit or Court Papers. You will then be offered full debt advice via a number of channels that best suit your needs, for example, telephone advice, webchat, self-help with face-to-face appointments for the most vulnerable.

What kinds of debts do we assist with?

We can separate these into two categories:

Priority debts: Court fines and CCJ’s, Council Tax arrears, Bailiff Enforcement, Mortgage and Rent arrears, Benefit Overpayments, Hire Purchase, TV licence and Energy debts 

Non-priority debts: Unsecured Loans, Credit Cards, Overdrafts, Payday loans and Catalogues. 

Different creditors have different powers to get their money back from you. Some have stronger powers than others. Creditors may take Court action and use Enforcement Agents (Bailiffs) to try to take control of your goods to get you to pay what you owe.

Citizens Advice Telford & the Wrekin will help and support you by presenting options for you to choose from, and talking you through the advantages and disadvantages of each option, enabling you to make an informed choice. Whatever your situation, there is usually an option that is suitable for you.


To contact us, click here. Please specify your money advice enquiry when you contact us, and a member of our Debt unit will be in touch.


Alternative contacts:

Citizens Advice National Debt Helpline - 0800 240 4420

Citizens Advice National webchat support - Click here